When it comes to wood planers, Dewalt makes some of the best. The company’s selection of wood planers is quite impressive as like their table saws. However, if you are a DIYer, a home woodworker, there are three Dewalt models you are going to encounter when shopping for a wood planer.
These are the Dewalt DW734, DW735, and DW735X. So which of the three should you pick? In this article, we pit the Dewalt DW734 vs DW735 to see which model is the best of the three.
It is worth noting that the DW735 and the DW735x are virtually the same planers.
The only difference between the two is that the DW735x comes with infeed and outfeed tables. The 735x also comes with extra knives for the cutter head. The 735, on the other hand, is just a planer without the infeed and outfeed tables as well as additional knives.
That being said, we will be mostly looking at the differences and similarities between the DW734 and DW735. Let’s take a glance at how these two planers differ and their similarities.
A Quick Comparison Between DW734 VS DW735 VS DW735X Planer
The Similarities Between DW734 and DW735
- Both wood planers are powered by a 15 amp motor capable of 20,000 Rotations Per Minute
- The cutting head on both models has a rotational speed of 10,000 RPM
- Both models feature a state of the art material removal gauge
- The two feature the same three-knife cutter head
- Given they are Dewalt models, both feature the same three-year limited warranty and one free service
The Differences Between DW734 and DW735
- In terms of weight, the 735 is bulkier, weighing 92 pounds compared to the 80 pounds weight of the 734
- When it comes to portability, the 734 has handles for easy carrying, while the DW735 does not
- For dust management, the DW734 has a dust hood that you can attach other accessories while the DW735 has a dust blower instead of a hood
- With the 735, you get an extra-wide depth adjustment wheel for easy adjustment
The DW735 vs DW734: What To Expect
While both are small and targeted at budget-conscious buyers, they are quite different in their features. That being said, let’s look at which each model has to offer.
You can expect the same 120VAC 15 amp motor powers good overall performance from both models as both. Furthermore, both can handle stock up to 6 inches thick. However, the DW735 slightly edges out the DW734 in the performance department.
The reason being that the DW735 can handle a wider stock of 13 inches. Also, with the 735, you get two feed rates 26 and 14 feet per minute.
For some people, cost is an important factor to consider. In this department, the DW734 comes out on top. It is relatively cheaper compared to the DW735. It is worth noting that it comes with slightly fewer features, which is why it costs less.
Both are very well made. However, there is no denying that the DW735 feels beefier than its counterpart when comparing the two. It weighs more than the DW734, and since planing involves a lot of vibrations, the bulkier model comes out on top.
The cast aluminum base of the 735 also helps in this regard. Since excess vibrations contribute to wear and tear, the bulkier model has the edge.
Whether you are DIYer or woodworker, you are going to be working with wood of different widths. And this is where depth adjustment comes in. So which of the two models comes out on top in this regard?
The DW735 takes the top spot again. The oversized depth adjustment wheel on this model makes it easy to use. It beats the adjustment bar you get with the 734 models.
When it comes to dealing with dust, the DW735 again comes out on top. It features a dust blower that can be attached to a collection bin or hose. The purpose of this is to prevent the wood chip particles from being scattered all over.
The DW734, on the other hand, has a basic hood that can also be connected to other attachments. However, the dust blower on the 735 is ultimately a better choice.
Advantages and Disadvantages of DW734 and DW735
The advantages of the DW734 planer
- The DW734 comes at a more affordable price tag compared to its two counterparts
- This model has an excellent feed capacity
- It can handle stock of up to 6 inches thick
- The 10,000 RPM three-knife cutter-head provides an impressive 96 cuts per inch
- Comes with disposable and revisable knives that are easy to replace
The disadvantages of the DW734 planer
- Compared to the DW735, it is not as durable
- This planer has a single feed rate
The advantages of the DW735
- This model can handle wider boards compared to the DW734 model
- Comes with a two-speed gearbox that allows you to optimize cuts to either 96 or 179 cuts per inch
- The three knife-cutter head will last longer and makes it easy to change the knives
- Offers greater precision controls compared to the DW734
- Features dual-speed feed rates
The disadvantages of the DW735
- It is relatively pricier compared to the DW734
- For Jobsite use, it is heavier than the DW734
The DW735 vs DW735x
We have already seen that you can opt for either the 735 or 735x if you decide to go for the DW735. The question is which of the two is the better of the two. Let’s take a look at the Dewalt 735 vs. 735x.
The main difference between the two is the infeed and outfeed tables that come fitted in the 735x. The DW735 does not have these tables fitted. Also, unlike the DW735, the 735 x has a set of additional planer knives.
For a home workshop where you plan on setting up a workbench for supporting wood, the DW735 will make more sense. However, if you plan on using your planer in a job site without a workbench, the 735x will come in handy.
So which model comes out on top in the dw735 vs. dw735x comparison? We would have to go with the DW735x. The latter is essentially an improved version of the standard DW735 and comes with two useful additional features.
Ultimately, the planer you pick among the three will depend on your needs. If you are a weekend DIYer and you don’t need to plane wood frequently, the cheaper DW734 is a better choice. However, if you are a professional who needs to plane more wood, the DW735 model is a better option.
And if you plan on using your planer in job sites the DW735x is the one for you. It is important to note that the three are capable models.
Last update on 2020-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API