Chainsaws come at a premium with some costing as much as $1000. But for pruning, felling small trees and cutting branches a $1000 chainsaw will be a waste of money. So what is the alternative?
The alternative is to get a budget chainsaw that will be within your tight budget. There is a decent lineup of inexpensive models available in the market today. And the best part is that the budget chainsaw market offers both gas and electric-powered models.
But just because you are shopping for a budget doesn’t mean you should compromise on quality. To help you make your decision, we have compiled a list of the best cheap chainsaw but good in quality .
Our selection of the following eight models is based on several things. First, we considered the weight, size, and performance of each chainsaw.
According to us, the best cheap chainsaw is the Oregon CS1500 corded electric chainsaw. Despite it being a corded model, its self-sharpening feature earns it top marks from us. Not many models in this price range can boast of such a feature.
That being the case, there are plenty of other great options to choose from our list.
The Best Budget Chainsaw Reviews
Best Chainsaw Under 150 : Oregon CS1500 18 in. 15 Amp Self-Sharpening Corded Electric Chainsaw
The Oregon CS1500 18 inch electric chainsaw has something special about it. It has some unique features that we don’t often find in electric chainsaws. More importantly, it delivers and is sufficient for felling small trees and cutting firewood.
Our number one feature of this electric saw is its self-sharpening feature. No more do you have to worry about the chain coming into contact with a stone or dirty. Ordinarily, when this happened, the chain gets blunt.
With this Oregon model, you can easily pull on a level, and the chainsaw gets sharpened. Powered by a 15 amp motor and featuring an 18-inch bar, it is quite capable. This chainsaw will cut wood of light to medium thicknesses with ease.
One thing we didn’t like about this model is its weight. Compared to some of the other similar models we have used, this one is quite heavy. But compared to a gas-powered saw, it is lightweight.
- The 18-inch bar and chain can handle most light to medium tasks
- Tensioning the chain does not require any tools
- The chain is self-sharpening and saves you time in case it comes in contact with a rock or dirt
- Comes with an integrated chain break
- For an electric chainsaw, it is quite powerful
- Is a bit heavier than other similar products
- Since it’s a corded model needs to be used near a power source
In terms of overall quality, this is the best chainsaw under 150. Its powerful motor combined with its 18-inch bar and chain can handle most light and medium tasks you throw at it.
WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw, 16" Bar Length, Red
The WORX WG303.1 has to be one of the most popular chainsaws on the market. And for good reasons. But what exactly makes this a popular option for many?
What you will notice the first time you hold it is how balanced the unit is. It has a nice ergonomic design and is easy to hold for long periods of time.
When it comes to performance, this model excels at what it’s designed for. It sports a 16-inch bar and chain. A 3.5 Horsepower motor provides the power necessary for cutting. And with it, you can do most general yard tasks with ease.
One thing you have to be wary of when working with a chainsaw is kickback. Thankfully, with this model, it’s not something you need to worry about. It comes with a chain brake that turns the chainsaw off in case of kickback.
- Since it’s an electric chainsaw produces zero emissions
- Overall it is easy to use and maintainable chainsaw
- Does not produce a lot of noise when in use
- Is quite powerful and can handle most general yard works
- Has a chain brake to protect against kickbacks
- The spare parts may be challenging to find
- Is not as powerful as some of the other similar models available in the market
This is another cheap chainsaw that proves that powerful chainsaws don’t have to be gas-powered CO2 emitting monstrosities. With this model, you can get a lot of work done.
Best Chainsaw Under 100 : Sun Joe SWJ599E 14-inch 9-Amp
One of the cheapest chainsaws, the Sun Joe SWJ599E 14 inch chainsaw, has a lot of excellent features. It is perhaps the best chainsaw under 100 on the list. So what makes it such an exceptional model?
First is its power; it is powered by a 9 amp motor. We had no problems cutting through 13 inch thick limbs with this saw. This makes it the perfect option for felling small trees as well as pruning your hedges and shrubbery.
The other thing that earns this model a lot of praise from us is the inbuilt safety switch. This switch prevents accidental switching on of the tool. More importantly, it’s a safety feature to keep your kids from messing around with it.
With its power and 14-inch bar and chain, you may think it’s bulky. But on the contrary, this one weighs 7.7 pounds.
- With its 9 amp motor, it is perfect for pruning and trimming limbs
- It comes with a safety switch that protects against accidental turning on of the tool
- Has an automatic oiler with a transparent window making it easy to check oil levels
- The chainsaw has a protective handguard as well as a chain brake to protect against kickbacks
- Is a lightweight chainsaw
- The chain is not of the best quality
- Is a corded model and thus must be used near a power source
This inexpensive chainsaw does a great job of providing a good balance between performance and weight. Additionally, it comes with safety features that make it a good option for almost anyone.
Greenworks 18-Inch 14.5 Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
18-inch chainsaws are among the biggest electric chainsaws on the market. That being said, the Greenworks 18 inch 14.5 amp electric chainsaw is one of the best.
Ease of use is one of the main benefits of this chainsaw. Everything is conveniently positioned, from the comfortable handle to the chain tensioning knob. You can easily pick this chainsaw up and start using it.
But its bestselling feature is its 14.5 amp motor. This is one of the most powerful motors we have seen on an electric chainsaw. Paired with an 18-inch chain and bar, it is quite handy as like arborist chainsaw for general pruning, and firewood cutting tasks.
To ensure the cutting equipment is always oiled, this model features an automatic oiler. It has a fixed flow system meaning you cannot adjust it. However, this is the same system found on most other electric chainsaws.
- This is an inexpensive chainsaw
- With a 14.5 amp motor, it delivers plenty of power for most tasks
- The chainsaw is easy to start and operate
- Has a large handle that is easy and comfortable to grip
- The auto-oiling system keeps the cutting tools well oiled
- The chain tensioning system needs frequent checking
- Suffers from quality issues especially after using it for some time
Greenworks 20222 Electric Chainsaw, 14-Inch
Compared to some of the other models on our list, the Greenworks 20222 Electric chainsaw is definitely not the most powerful. But thankfully, for us, it has its perks in other areas.
This is designed mainly for lightwork due to its 9 am motor. When it comes to noise, this one performs better than most electric models. And when it comes to design, it is well thought out. All the things you need to operate it are within reach.
Since it is not built for power, it performs well in the ease of use department. To start this tool, all you need to do is plug it in and push the start button. This means almost anyone can get started with this tool in minutes.
While it is small and is not likely to present any kickback challenges, we still would have preferred it to have a chain break.
- Has an excellent ergonomic design
- It is easy to use chainsaw
- Is easy to maintain
- Has a comfortable grip and can be used for long periods of time
- Features an auto-oiler to ensure it is always oiled
- Cannot be used for demanding tasks
- Being an electric model it can be a bit restricting for outdoor use
When you accept that this is a light-duty corded model, there is a lot you can do with it. It is light and maneuverable and can be used by just about anyone.
Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14-Inch Lightweight Corded Electric Chainsaw
You may know them for their rifles, but did you know Remington also makes some pretty powerful chainsaws as well. One of the company’s best sellers is the Remington RM1425 light chainsaw.
Weighing 6 pounds, it is one of the most lightweight chainsaws we have ever used, and we can recommend this chainsaw to women. So how does it compare in terms of performance and power?
As you may have guessed, it is powered by an 8 amp motor, which does a pretty decent job of slicing limbs. It may not be as powerful as some other electric options, but its power output is more than most people need.
This chainsaw doesn’t have your average chainsaw design. Its unique design gives it a balanced and comfortable feel. For safety, it is equipped with a chain brake that stops the tool immediately.
- Weighing 6 pounds, it is one of the most lightweight on the market
- Despite its weight, it’s pretty powerful for handling most light to medium cutting tasks
- This is an easy to use chainsaw, and almost anyone can use it
- Comes with a 14-inch bar and chain sufficient for slicing limbs of average thickness
- Has a low kickback
- The instructions manual is a bit complicated especially for people who are new to chainsaws
- It tends to spray too much debris
This is the perfect chainsaw for anyone looking for a lightweight model that does not compromise on power. It can handle most of the around-the-home work you throw at it with ease.
SALEM MASTER 6220G 62CC 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw
As mentioned earlier, the budget chainsaw market offers both electric and gas-powered chainsaws. And one of the best cheap petrol chainsaws is the Salem Master 6220G gas-powered chainsaw.
This gas chainsaw has a 62cc 3.5 horsepower engine powering it. Capable of speeds of up to 8500rpms, it has no problems felling trees and clearing fallen branches.
The 20-inch chain and bar offer a sufficient cutting surface area for slicing through thicker limbs. There is an automatic oiler that provides a steady supply of oil to the chain and bar.
When it comes to ease of use and comfort, this is designed for comfort. The handle is non-slip and shock absorbing. Thus, it is not easy for you to get fatigued even after long periods of use.
- Can be used for heavy-duty tasks such as felling trees
- The handle of this chainsaw is non-slip and shock absorbing for a comfortable grip
- Has a longer bar and chain that can cut through thicker wood
- The auto-oiler ensures the chain and bar are always lubricated
- Comes with a handle guard for safety
- The instructions booklet is not easy to understand
- Compared to some of the other options on the list, it’s quite heavy
This is one of the more inexpensive gas-powered chainsaw models on the market. It can help you get a lot of work done. Also, it features a chain brake as one of its safety mechanisms.
Ladyiok 62CC Chainsaw 20" Powerful Chainsaw
Another gas-powered chainsaw that is offered at a relatively affordable price is the Ladyiol 62cc chainsaw. With its 20 inch chain and bar, it is more than capable of felling small trees and cutting firewood.
It comes with a 62cc three horsepower engine. This engine is the powerhouse behind the saw’s cutting abilities. The chain on this saw is very sturdy and should resist wear and tear for a long time.
The tool is constructed from ABS plastic. This makes it both lightweight and durable. Compared to other gas-powered chainsaws, this one is quite lightweight.
When starting, there is a safety switch that you need to switch on first. This helps with safety and prevents accidental turning on of the chainsaw.
- Weighing 7.5 kg is more lightweight than other gas-powered chainsaws
- Is cheaper than most other gas-powered chainsaws
- The engine paired with the long 20-inch chain and bar give it an excellent cutting ability
- The handle is easy to grip and prevents you from feeling the shaking of the machine
- Has a high-quality chain and bar
- Since its, a gas-powered chainsaw may take some time to start
- The chain bucks and tends to kickback
Best Cheap Chainsaw Buying Guide
When you decide to purchase a chainsaw on a budget, there are certain things to consider. After all, just because you are on a budget doesn’t mean you should compromise on quality. Here are some of the most important things to consider.
Chainsaws are categorized into corded, cordless, and gas-powered models. Gas-powered chainsaws are the most powerful. However, they are a handful to maintain, are heavy, and are annoyingly noisy.
Cordless battery-powered models are less powerful but are more lightweight and less noisy. Making them ideal for DIYers and homeowners. The same can be said about corded electric chainsaws.
The one main negative of corded models is that they must be used near a power source. Thus, you cannot use them anywhere. The type of chainsaw you pick will depend on your needs. For light to medium tasks, battery-powered and electric models are sufficient.
Manual oiling of the chain and bar can be a lot of work. Also, it requires you to stop what you are doing and oil the chain. The best cheap chainsaw comes with an automatic oiler. Thus you do not have to worry about having to oil the chain.
This is a better approach than manual oiling of the chain. We recommend purchasing a tool that has some sort of automatic oiler.
One big disadvantage of gas-powered chainsaws is that you need tools to adjust the tension of the chain. But when you are working at home, it may be an inconvenience having to get tools to adjust the tension.
To make work easier, we recommend a chainsaw with a tool-less chain tensioning mechanism. This can be a knob that you can easily turn to adjust the tension. Mostly this feature is found on electric and battery-powered models.
When the chain nicks a hard object, it may thrust upwards and potentially injure you. This is what is known as a kickback and is something to be expected with chainsaws. If you are not the most experienced chainsaw user, we recommend a chainsaw with a chain brake.
A chain brake is a safety feature put in place to protect you from injuries that may result from a kickback. The chain brake shuts off the chainsaw in case of a kickback.
Chainsaws can be cumbersome and cause vibrations when in use, which can lead to fatigue. This is especially if you are not used to using a chainsaw. It is, therefore, wise to consider a chainsaw with an anti-vibration mechanism.
This is a mechanism that prevents you from feeling the impact of the vibrations. Lightweight models will not cause so much vibrations compared to heavier models.
From our article, it is evident that you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a quality chainsaw. With less than $200 or even less than $100, you can get your hands on a decent chainsaw that gets work done.
The bottom line, not all budget chainsaws offer value. That is why it is essential to shop around for the best cheap chainsaw, and we hope this article is a great place to start.
Last update on 2021-05-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API